Don’t let your Turkey Take you Down this Christmas!
Take our FOOD SAFETY QUIZ, see below!
Well the BIG day is arriving and I certainly wish you all a very Merry Christmas…..but please be sure to make sure your Christmas Turkey doesn’t ‘take you down!’ with food poisoning.
Here are a few Simple Tips to make sure the BIG Day goes smoothly..
1. When you buy your turkey/or other meat keep it separate from your other shopping.
2. Defrost your turkey in the bottom of the Fridge away from any other ‘ready to eat’ foods.
3. Put some thing around it like cling film around the turkey to prevent contamination of the fridge, or put it in a drip tray.
4. You’ll need to allow about 24 hours for each 4 to 5 pounds of frozen turkey (a 6-kg turkey can take up to 4 days to defrost!!)
5. Don’t wash your turkey in the sink as this spreads harmful bacteria like salmonella and campylobacter.
6. Wash your hands after handling raw meat.
7. Use separate utensils, chopping boards for raw meats like turkey.
8. Leave plenty of time to cook your turkey.
At 180C, Gas Mark 4 allow
- 45 minutes per kg plus 20 minutes for a turkey that weighs under 4.5kg
- 40 minutes per kg for a turkey that’s between 4.5kg and 6.5kg
- 35 minutes per kg for a turkey weighing more than 6.5kg
9. The meat should not be pink once cooked, The juices should run clear and the meat should be steaming.
FOOD SAFETY QUICK QUIZ
Here are my questions:
- Is it safe to eat pink lamb? Yes or No?
- Can Pharaoh Ants spread disease? Yes or No?
- If food is past its Best Before Date is it safe to eat? Yes or No?
Think you know the answers? We will post them after Christmas!